2006/02/16

 

mMK~what on e is missing, one does not know


GOOD GRIEF! My most looking forward show Once by Anne Teresa Keersmaeker of this year Arts Festival (recommended here earlier), has unfortunately been cancelled, due to Anne's medical problem according to the Arts Festival's announcement, may God bless her. Can't see Once again here is a real pity, something that our city might not missed badly, since it carries something that our city badly missed.

I am not a fall over fan of ROSAS (Anne's Dance Company), but seeing Anne's solo Once in Joyce Theater, New York was the best show I saw in my last year US trip. It surprisingly touches me to my being. Instead of seizing this preview privilege to write about it before the HK show and gain some writing exposure or earn little writer-fee, I just used the different opportunities I came across to recommend it to others, but consciously kept my mouth sealed about what the dance is like, hoping people could experience it more frontally themselves. But now, this chance has gone.

I will see what I could do in face of this situation. But as I just talked with Tiny West the other day, most of the dances that I was really passionate about (what I have in mind is the two shows by Les Ballets C de la B or Wim Vandekeybus' Blush that luckily came to Hong Kong), I did not really write about them in the end, or at least I think I did not wrote anything that did any justice to the wonderfulness of their shows.

Without these extraordinaries, I could not really still have the urge to go to dance shows (with usually little joy, more disappointment after disappointment). Without them, maybe I could not have the sense of quality to dare to criticize the rest of the shows that I saw and wrote about. Once is unfortunately one of this extremely short beloved list of mine, that most of my fellows now could however not share. At least not for here and now, with her presence. This is however perhaps the essence of performance, the once-nessness. The one-time at one place. Who could refund us the cultural lost of this incident? SIGH!

Comments: 發佈留言



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?